There is a UK Athletics Level 1 Field Judge Qualificiation Course being held at Swansea University Athletics Track, Sketty Lane between 12:00 noon and 4:00pm on Saturday 7th December 2019 with tutor Dave Jessett (Swansea Harriers).
This is a FREE qualification with a minimum age of 14 to attend.
The level 1 Field Officials course is an entry level qualification on the UK Athletics Track & Field Officials pathway.
This 4 hour, practical course will introduce candidates to the key roles, responsibilities and duties of a field official, including how to follow a duty sheet, complete a results card, application of the rules in field events and how to provide a safe environment for athletes to compete.
Who should go on the course? Anyone who is interested in officiating the field events:
- Shot (including seated throws for disabled athletes)
- Discus (including seated throws for disabled athletes)
- Javelin (including seated throws for disabled athletes)
- Club Throw
- High Jump
- Long Jump
- Triple Jump
- Pole Vault
What will I learn?
Follow a duty sheet, Be able to list field events and the various roles covered, Understand and describe Health and Safety issues in Field Officiating, Application of the rules surrounding field officiating, Ability to present the results card accurately.
Is there an assessment?
There isn't an assessment but after the course candidates need to complete at least 4 competition experiences to become licensed. The experiences must cover both horizontal and vertical jumps and both shot and long throws. This may require candidates doing more than 4 experiences. Candidates must have completed the Health and Safety course for Officials.
What do I do after the course?
- It is essential you complete a DBS. For guidance on this go to https://www.welshathletics.org/en/page/dbs
- Ensure there is a passport quality photograph saved to your profile in the myAthletics portal.
- Complete a minumum of 4 experiences for Level 1.
- Complete the Level 1 Application for Accreditation.
- Send your completed Level 1 Application for Accreditation to firstname.lastname@example.org
Health & Safety Online
This FREE online course should be completed for anyone training to become a Track and Field Athletics Official. The course will need to be completed before a licence can be issued at Level 1. The course will need to be undertaken by officials every three years. The course will typically take around 90 minutes to complete with a multi choice assessment exercise upon competition.